Wednesday, October 23, 2019

DaZee's TVR Journey

TVR Purchase
Written by Darren Jones   
Jan 17, 2014 at 02:00 AM

At the start of 2012 realising that I was fast approaching 45, I decided to get myself a little midlife crisis treat, a nice British sports car.  After literally hours of looking online and searching car ads, one car jumped out at me.  British, quite rare to see on the roads, especially in Japan, powerful, and within budget.   A TVR Chimaera 500.

Boosted by the knowledge that only around 600 of these were made I went on a quest to Guma prefecture to see the car.  It was not a pristine car, but the V8 won my heart.  Assured mechanically all sound and still with a Shaken and low mileage (35K), I made the purchase.  See the idiot grin!


While not exactly a barn find, dusty old garage in the middle of nowhere surely counts.
Car was purchased January 15th 2012.





Chimaera has arrived
Written by Darren Jones   
Jan 16, 2014 at 09:23 AM

February 22nd 2012 and the Chimaera has been delivered.  Standard battery now fitted and a little repair to the soft top are the only changes now from when first seen.


Interior leather is in good condition, if a little dull compared to other Chimaeras.  Carpets are a mess though.

Dashboard is classey but in need of a refresh.  The veneer cracked in a couple of places but serviceable for now.  Radio though is nasty.

And of course an "honest" engine bay for that 5 liter V8.

New Carpets
Written by Darren Jones 
Jan 16, 2014 at 01:46 PM


One of the things I had realized on the first visit to buy the TVR was that the carpets in it were horrible.  They were old, faded, discoloured by god knows what and no amount of cleaning would ever make me feel good about them.  They had to go and I was about to step in to my first experience of what it is like to own a TVR....
Try finding TVR carpets for sale...  I searched and did find some and the price is multitudes more expensive than any other car I found.  Pick any other make of car and the TVR carpets were more expensive.  But this will be hopefully a one time job so just have to suck it up.  These could not stay.



Coverdale Carpets are able to supply a complete set for the Chimaera, that is 22 separate carpets cut to pattern and bound.  Available in several different carpet types and a wide selection of colours.  I went for a grey to match the leather interior.  It's a long hard job, requiring several awkward body positions when fitting - and child like hands when trying to bolt the soft top back on.  In the end though, well worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment