Sunday, March 1, 2020

Slot Cars - testing the design.

Now that I had my idea for using the laser to help build a new track with new power lines, I needed to test how this would actually work in practice.  So I made a small circular track for testing.  I used some useful feedback from those good folks over at the Slot Racer forum to tweak the design by making the groove for the copper wire slightly smaller than the wire diameter.  This helped for building the track.  I could now apply glue into the groove and then use a roller to force the wire into the groove.  This meant that friction could hold the wire in place while the glue set.



I did try to add some surface texture to the track, but this didn't work out too well and will skip this for the actual track build.

One concern raised was that the raised wire may lead to excessive braid wear, so fresh braids in and time to test run for a couple of hours.


Running..




After a couple of hours going in circles, the braids don't look too bad.  

Braids after running.

I'm calling this a pass and will now start making a few different variations on track pieces and start putting together the new layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment